Susquehanna Bank Makes Donation

GREATER SUSQUEHANNA VALLEY UNITED WAY

335 Market Street, Suite 2, Sunbury, PA  17801

Phone 570-988-0993; Fax 570-286-4581

Contact:  Karen Ulp  ececoord@gsvuw.org

 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  April 4, 2013

 

Susquehanna Bancshares Makes Donation to Help Families Afford Childcare

 

Susquehanna Bancshares donated $3,000 to Greater Susquehanna Valley United Way to help families afford childcare through the Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) program.  The EITC program provides tax credits to eligible businesses contributing to an approved scholarship organization, an Educational Improvement Organization, and/or a Pre-Kindergarten Scholarship Organization.  Greater Susquehanna Valley United Way is approved by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development as a Pre-K Scholarship Organization. 

 

JoAnn Shotko, Senior Vice President and Retail Executive in the Northern PA Region of Susquehanna Bancshares states:  “The EITC is a way for businesses to contribute to the education of young children locally and receive tax credits in return.  If contributing to an approved Pre-K Scholarship Organization such as the United Way, an approved business may receive a tax credit equal to 100% of the first $10,000 contributed during the taxable year.”  According to the EITC Program Business Guidelines for 2012, operating businesses authorized to do business in Pennsylvania that are subject to taxes such as Corporate Net Income Tax, Capital Stock Franchise Tax, Bank and Trust Company Shares Tax, Title Insurance Companies Shares Tax, Insurance Premiums Tax or Mutual Thrift Institutions Tax are eligible to apply. 

 

Keri Albright, President/CEO of Greater Susquehanna Valley United Way extends her gratitude to everyone at Susquehanna Bancshares.  “Designating taxes in this way to keep the money local makes sense, which is why the EITC program works.  Susquehanna Bancshares is helping families afford quality childcare in the Valley, demonstrating that the Bank gets that a good start in life is critical for what follows,” Albright said. 

 

The money will be offered as scholarships to eligible families whose pre-school age children attend participating childcare programs in Union, Snyder and Northumberland Counties through June 30, 2013.  The first consideration will be for applicants who have a family income of up to 300% of poverty, and not receiving another source of financial help for childcare.  United Way contracts with a private company to determine family income eligibility for this program.  Families who have a 3 or 4 year old attending specific childcare programs will need to complete an application, provide a copy of their 2011 tax returns, and pay a small application fee which will be applied to their childcare costs if selected.

 

The EITC Program Organization Guidelines and Application/April 2012 specify that participating Pre-K programs verify that their methods of instruction are consistent with those used at the elementary school and their curriculum is aligned with the elementary school so that children are prepared to enter kindergarten.  According to Karen Ulp, Early Childhood Education Coordinator for Greater Susquehanna Valley United Way, “Childcare centers who participate at or above a specific level in the Keystone STARS program, a voluntary quality-rating system for childcare programs, were chosen for this program.  Selected eligible families from these programs will pay 5% of their childcare costs while United Way will pay the other 95% directly to the childcare program while money is available through this EITC program, or until the family receives other financial support through Child Care Works Subsidy or other program.” 

 

For this 2012-2013 fiscal year, income eligible families who have a 3 or 4 year old attending Children’s Discovery Center located in Selinsgrove, Greater Susquehanna Valley YMCA-Milton Day Care Center, Little Britches Day Care Center located in Elysburg, SUMCD at the Lewisburg Children’s Center, Mifflinburg Children’s Center, Selinsgrove High School Children’s Center and Susquehanna Children’s Center located in Selinsgrove and Winnie the Pooh Day Care Center in Mount Carmel may apply.

 

For more information contact Karen Ulp, Greater Susquehanna Valley United Way, 988-0993 or email at ececoord@gsvuw.org.  Greater Susquehanna Valley United Way includes early childhood education as one of six Priorities for Impact.

 

PHOTO: JoAnn Shotko, (Center) Senior Vice President and Retail Executive in the Northern PA Region of Susquehanna Bancshares, presents Greater Susquehanna Valley United Way representatives, Keri Albright (right) and Karen Ulp (left), with a $3,000 contribution to its early childhood initiatives.

 

####

AddThis: